Saturday, November 1, 2008

Self Reflection on Review

Overview:
As a team, me and Anthony are given the task to review another team's code. We need to help them test if we are able to download their code and configure our system to be able to start developing. Because we are developing an open source application, it is very important for our code to be robust and easy to set up for future development by other programmers.

Review:
It has always been hard for me to give a review because I would have to criticize their code and point out their flaws in design. I also run into uncertainty because I am reviewing code that are in the middle of development. Since I am not in their group, I would not no their goals and I would be wrong with my review. When I was reviewing purple's code, I felt really back because I was unable to get the code working. In my mind, I believe that it should be working and the fault was with me. I ended up not being able to run their code in Eclipse, so I just traced the code to help review other parts of the code.
After doing the review, I talked to Anthony and I was surprised that we both gave the same review. I guess because we worked together on our code, their design thoughts were the same. It was also nice to know that I was not the only one having problems getting their code to work. Looking at Purple's code also gave us ideas on how to solve our problems.

No comments: