Monday, November 3, 2008

Rush to the Finish

Overview:
Another week and another rush to finish. Who would have thought little features like sort and within would be so much problem. Along with adding those two new features, we had to add the Hawaii State Library System as another library we can access. Lucky a time extension was given to let us sleep a extra night.

Process:
Communication was good in the beginning. We met up at Hamilton Library for a few hours and we got a lot of work done, but things turned fuzzy after that. Because of our busy schedules, we were limited to only Instant Messaging and Aim. We tried to schedule another meeting, but things came up so we had to cancel it. For me, it was hard for me to program since I did not know how the design was going to be. For example, I would be sitting in front of the computer reading Anthony's message and designing how the Library file will parse the sort and within parameters and then I see that Anthony created a robust parsing file. I end up retracing the program and frustrated that I was unable to help.

Results:
We completed the project with all the requirements needed. Our project automatically sorts the results by Library and the user can sort the books by due date. Both library systems are working and the within feature works fine. Continuous Integration is a very fun tool. It's like another person watching our submits and waiting to give us a red mark when we forget to verify.

Reflection:
I think the one thing that can improve my effectiveness would be to find more time to meet up face to face to program. Aim and email does not seem to work to well with me and I was able to see a major difference between me working alone and me working with my partner side by side. That is the optimal view, but I also need to improve my communication skills over the internet so that I can be more productive when I'm at home.

No comments: