Friday, November 21, 2008

Local Tech Companies

Yesterday, I attended UH's annual ICS Industry Day event. This event provides ICS students the opportunity to meet with local tech companies and to see what they are looking for in graduates. As a soon to be graduate, I was fortunate to hear presentations from Oceanit, Alion, Referentia, and DataHouse.
My first impression of tech companies was that of a very structured and programming intensive environment. All I can imagine was cubicals with people glued to monitors. Another impression I had was high expectations and zero failure. Lucky for me, I gained a better outlook after attending the event and listening to the speakers.
The first thing I notices was how friendly and passionate these people were. They seemed very down to earth and willing to train and promote growth and creativity. The next thing I notices was how important Johnson's class is to me. Everything I learned in Johnson's class can be used in these companies. From things like quality programming to subversion, I understood what these companies were looking for instead of worrying about being lost.
This has been a great experience for because I gained a better understanding of what Hawaii can offer. I always believed that mainland was the only option for me after I graduate, but these companies showed me that there are great opportunities right here.

No comments: