Monday, October 20, 2008

Putting our Tools to the Test

Overview:
Now that I have all these tools in software development, the next step would be to test it. To test how effective I will be, I will be partnering up with Anthony Du in creating a program. The goal of this program is to help users quickly obtain a listing of all the books they are currently borrowing. Because this is in the beginning stages, the user will be using the command prompt to access the UHM Library and Hawaii State Library system. We hope to expand this to other library systems and to create a more user friendly interface.

Procedure:
This is pretty straight forward. Develop the code Philip Johnson gave us and create User and Developer guides. As a team, we need to create daily objectives to meet our goal in one week. This also helps with splitting the work load and to promote better teamwork.

Reaction:
It's amazing how fast time flies in a week. We tried to meet up early to give ourselves more time to work on it, but that ended up being a weekend programming marathon. Personally, I still have some problems starting the project. A little bit of fear and procrastination is enough to keep me from starting till I absolutely need too. The fear factor has gone down because I'm starting to enjoy solving these bugs. Google has amazingly pulled me through on this project without a problem. The only thing that makes me want to pull my hair out is the collisions me and Anthony face in submitting our code. It has almost come down to a horse race in submitting first so I don't have to fix the merge. I also have to admit that I sometimes forget to verify before Committing. Thankfully, the project was small enough that it did not hurt that much to fix it. In order to work around to constant merging collision, we decided to work on different parts of the project to minimize the time in reviewing and merging the code. Following is an image of the worst thing I saw this weekend:

No comments: