Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Experiences with SVN and Google Project Hosting

Overview:
This week, I will be taking a first hand look into SVN by using TortoiseSVN and Google Project Hosting. SVN is a version control software that aids programmers in software development by allowing everyone in the project to concurrently update and make changes to the code. This also keeps a history of all changes so projects can be reverted if there are major bugs found. By getting familiar with the software, I will be able to increase productivity and reduce collisions during development.

Procedure:
The first task that I should complete is to install TortoiseSVN and read the directions and how it works. Once I become familiar with TortoiseSVN I should connect and modify an existing project of Google Project Hosting. My target would be stack-johnson. Once I download all hte files for the project, I should make some "improvements", run verify to make sure it still runs, and then commit the changes. The third task would be to create my own Google Project Hosting to see how it can be customized.

Conclusion:
SVN seems to be one of the most useful tools I have learned so far. Before this, the only concept in programming as a group would be to split the work into coding and documentation or to code one person at a time. This was always time consuming because one person would be waiting for the other person to finish before starting. It is also very helpful with the code being hosted online so that it would be easier with different work schedules.

No comments: